[meteorite-list] First Closeup Images of an Asteroid - Gaspra in 1991

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 09:11:20 -0700 (PDT)

22 years ago today, October 29, 1991, the Galileo spacecraft flew by asteroid Gaspra,
and took the first ever closeup images of an asteroid:

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/images/gaspra.html

I remember that day well.

On October 29, 1998, John Glenn returned to space on the Space Shuttle Discovery.
I was lucky to be at Cape Canaveral to witness the launch.

On October 29, 1938, Orson Wells aired his now famous radio broadcast of
the "War of the Worlds". I missed that one. :)

Ron Baalke