[meteorite-list] Looking for Happy meteorite goodness

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 15:00:26 -0700

Hello All,
Gao, Chergach, Pultusk, and other ordinary chondrites often have their
impact melt portions ignored when being characterized. Chelyabinsk
would be the most recent obvious example of this -- "LL5 S4 W0"
Except, when you read the petrographic description:

"...A significant portion (1/3) of the stones consist of a dark,
fine-grained impact melt containing mineral and chondrule fragments.
Feldspar is well developed and practically isotropic. No high-pressure
phases were found in the impact melt. There are black-colored thin
shock veins in both light and dark lithologies."

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=57165

We collectors see impact melt and think it's cool, but it's secondary
information for the classification, I think.

Regards,
Jason

www.fallsandfinds.com