[meteorite-list] Possible Tektite

From: Jim Wooddell <jim.wooddell_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 04:27:39 -0700

Hi Phil,

Just a thought...did you do any tests to determine what this is?
Hardness? Specific Gravity? The common consciences of the picture is
quartz, so the hardness should be close to 7 mohs and the specific
gravity about
2.65.

A streak plate has a hardness of about 7. So if you took a coffee cup,
turn it over to expose the unglazed ring that it sits on, and try to
scratch the specimen, it should feel like it sliding across the surface,
no scratch or very very little scratch.

If it's something other that quartz, you likely would get a good scratch.

Just saying!

Cheers!

Jim

--