[meteorite-list] Different colors of meteors/shooting stars

From: Doug Ross <doug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 11:51:14 -0700

Thank you for the explanation, Chris. I have often wondered about this, since various colors often seem to be reported by different witnesses to the same meteor event. Wouldn't atmospheric filtering also affect the perceived color, depending on the angle and distance from which a meteor is viewed? In much the same way as the sun's color appears to change at sunset or sunrise.

Doug Ross
doug at dougross.net