[meteorite-list] Seymchan Crystals - worth a look

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 17:58:41 -0400

Hi Gary and List,

I thought the same thing when I saw it. This would be something to
hand cut. You can creep it along and react quicker during the cut - a
cutting jig would be more prone to breakage I bet.

But, one could clear-coat the part-slices that are 100% olivine.
Generally, I am against coatings of any kind on meteorites, but I
wouldn't see any harm in a purely aesthetic piece that has no metal
involved in it. Without in the inherent contamination issues that
coatings have, the piece should be stable and more robust if coated
properly.

Except for cases like this, I would shun coatings personally.

Best case scenario - a few pieces crumble away during cutting, but a
sizeable slice remains intact and that can be coated to further
stabilize it.

Worst case scenario - every slice crumbles on the saw and you are left
with a pile of wet and loose olivines.

I once cut some volcanic olivine bombs into slices. They were
entirely crystalline olivine with no binding matrix or inclusions of
any kind. They did have a tendency to break during cutting and
polishing, but a few held together and looked quite nice. But, I do
recall they were tricky to work with and it didn't seem like it was
worth the trouble in hindsight.

Best regards,

MikeG

--