[meteorite-list] International Partnership Releases Space Exploration Benefits Paper

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 10:46:41 -0700 (PDT)

September 20, 2013

Joshua Buck
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1100
jbuck at nasa.gov

MEDIA ADVISORY M13-134

International Partnership Releases Space Exploration Benefits Paper

NASA and the International Space Exploration Coordination Group (ISECG)
released a white paper Friday outlining benefits of human exploration of
space.

The document, titled "Benefits Stemming from Space Exploration," is the
culmination of a dialog between space agencies participating in the ISECG.
The goal was to share their views and lessons learned on the nature and
significance of benefits resulting from space exploration. The paper
describes the fundamental benefits that are expected to flow from continued
investment in the missions and activities described in the Global Exploration
Roadmap, which was released on Aug. 20.

Although not intended to be a definitive statement on exploration's relevance
to society, the paper reflects the strong commitment by space agencies to
deliver benefits to everyone on Earth.

The paper outlines the collective benefits of space exploration, including
expanding our scientific knowledge, inspiring people around the world, and
forging agreements and cooperation between the countries engaged in the
peaceful exploration of space. The paper stresses human exploration's effects
on enhancing our quality of life by improving economic prosperity, health,
environmental quality, safety and security. The paper also highlights the
equally important ability for exploration to provide a better understanding
and new perspectives on our individual and collective place in the universe.

The International Space Station is demonstrating many of these benefits
today. The orbiting laboratory is the first step in the future exploration
framework described in the Global Exploration Roadmap. The benefits described
in this paper provide some of the rationale for the nations wishing to pursue
the activities highlighted in the roadmap.

To view ISECG's "Benefits Stemming from Space Exploration" and the Global
Exploration Roadmap, visit:

http://go.nasa.gov/1d0cShx

-end-