[meteorite-list] First fragment of Chelyabinsk meteorite raised from bottom of, Lake Chebarkul

From: Pict <pict_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 23:49:04 +0500

I know what you mean Mike. I was thinking one honking big lump down there.
On reflection though, I can imagine a couple of feet of ice giving as good
as it gets at the collision speeds involved. Judging by the propensity of
tiny bits this big one may well have been pretty beat up and fractured
before impact. Drive a fast car flat out into a wall of ice like that and
I'm pretty sure the leftovers would be pretty mangled.

John