[meteorite-list] is it a meteorite

From: Francis Graham <fgraham_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 02:35:42 -0400

Ruben Garcia poses a line of questions that can be carried further.
What is the legal definition of a meteorite? I know I cannot sell
oranges labeled as apples.
It is now possible to send an amateur rocket higher than 62 miles;
such happens now at the annual Black Rock NV launches sponsored by the
Tripoli Rocketry Association. This is the legal boundary of space.
If a person would send rocks up in such a rocket, and recovers them,
are they able to be sold as "Meteorites"?
     Watch out. Tektites and lunar meteorites, according to prevailing
theories, have an ultimate origin on Earth. So you can't say the rocks
must be from some place other than Earth.
     Not that I personally would try to sell space-boosted gravel as
meteorites. But where there is money in it, someone will, if it's
legal.

Francis Graham