[meteorite-list] "Meteorite" Sculpture by Katie Paterson

From: info at moonmarsrocks.com <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2014 09:32:32 -0700

Hi Graham, Peter and All,

I would agree that art can be a means to challenge existing concepts and
perceptions. I think the rub in this instance is the recasting of the
meteorite, nature's art, into its own image; a human generated meteorite
clone so to speak. To re-create it into something more removed from
itself would stretch the creative boundary.
If one were to melt down an original Remington bronze sculpture and
recast it as itself, does that really challenge artistic expression, and
how is that different that the cheap "after" versions that one can buy
that are imitations of the Remington original? Given the choice between
an original work of art and its imitation, I'll take the original every
time. I'm not saying there isn't some value in what Katie did, but I
think the genuine meteorite would be more worthy of a trip to the space
station...

Best regards,
Daniel

Daniel Noyes