[meteorite-list] Melted meteorite art

From: James <jamespault_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 19:30:54 -0700

I rarely post anything anymore but I do read most of what comes from this list.
This melting of a meteorite to remake it was pointless to me when I first heard about it months ago.
Unlike some of those who have posted I am an artist. And no matter how hard I try I cannot understand this. I use meteorite material in art. I have used small pieces of stone that were common unclassified meteorite in jewelry as have others. I have no problem with mounting pallasite slices as jewelry. The melting and reforging of meteorite scrap metal into knives is wonderful art and creating useful items that will be treasured.
Are there some gray areas like infusing wine with meteorite? I think so. But there are also uses that I think are perfectly appropriate.
When I formulate clay for pottery using meteorite dust saved from cutting stones I have not one thought that it is inappropriate. When I mix dust from meteorites into glazes or as pigment in paints I don't think about it. But I have thought about the destruction by melting simply to recast it back many times over the last months. And my thoughts have never once been that the resulting item was art but only a waste of a wanderer from beyond the Earth that is gone forever.
Controversy does not always go along with art but some art can make us think. Sometime the art is never there only the controversy. Is art in the eye of the beholder? I would say yes. Yet sometimes a bad idea is just a bad idea.

Talk to you all again in a year or so
Jim

Sent from my iPhone