[meteorite-list] MPOD Feb. 20th 2014

From: Rob Lenssen <rlenssen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 13:03:56 +0100

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Elton. Especially about the thermal
expansion of some constituent(s).

    " All these working theories would be one heck of a multi-diciplinary:
chemistry, aerodynamic, thermodynamic, calculus, etc, problem beyond most
doctoral thesis work."
Yes, it would be. And that is what - for me - it makes it fun to discuss :-)

    " If you remember there was a NWA(?) sometime back discussed on the list
that had lots of meteorite "pebbles" largely lacking fusion crust which were
welded to the back side of some of the larger stones. They were cemented by
the molten silicate glass."
I guess you mean Tamdakht (
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/get_original_photo.php?recno=5650643 )

    " Aerodynamic theory suggest however that the smaller object, having
less drag would catch up to the larger mass which may have been the case
above with the cemented NWA example"
I don't see a smaller object catching up with a larger one due to
differences in drag forces though. Although the smaller one will have less
drag in an absolute sense, it's drag will be much larger relative to its
mass. Therefor the smaller object will be slowed down much faster than the
larger one. Drag force is a function of the cross-sectional area "facing the
flow", while mass is a function of an objects volume. So approximately
squared versus cubed with respect to an objects size.

Have a nice weekend,
Rob Lenssen