[meteorite-list] KATOL (L6) is official

From: Jeff Grossman <jngrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2014 10:19:07 -0500

Yes, Jim, and this is why arm-chair science is not a good idea! We
really have to wait for the publication to see what was done.

There is a vast and long literature on XRF analysis of geological
materials, including meteorites. The scientific community has accepted
these for decades. The classic XRF technique involving preparation of
fused disks and wavelength-dispersive analysis for major and minor
elements has provided some of the most beautiful datasets in meteoritics
(and earth science). In the 1960s, von Michaelis and co-workers
produced classic papers showing the narrow range of bulk composition in
chondrite groups using this kind of method. These and the wet-chemical
analyses of Jarosewich (a now-extinct method, as far as I'm aware)
provide some of the best, complete major-element data in bulk meteorites
that we have to this day. At the other extreme, there are many "quick
and dirty" energy-dispersive XRF methods these days that have much less
precision and accuracy, e.g. the use of hand-held XRF systems on
irregular bulk samples. And, there are many good and not-so-good
methods in between. XRF is a very broad term, and we don't know what was
done. So, I would not be so quick to dismiss XRF. It can be highly
quantitative using a variety of well-documented, time-proven methods...
and it can be virtually useless for the kind of interpretation that I
did in my previous email.

Jeff