[meteorite-list] KATOL (L6) is official

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 16:23:52 -0800

Hello All,
Krinov discussed the depressions with raised rims observed on Sikhote
Alines and concluded that they were not impact marks, but were instead
formed when volatile inclusions (relative to Fe-Ni) reached the
surface of the iron and boiled out. I have seen a few with remnants
of what might be tiny impactors in the center/floor of the pit, but I
do think that they are most likely 'bubbles'...not to burst anyones'
bubbles.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107508108525239417569/Irons?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ6DmIe53MKuGg#5549869672083631618

It would make sense for a chondritic-derived iron to have more
volatile inclusions than a typical iron, so the abundant pits on
Michael's iron make sense.

If what Jeff said is true, Katol would be analogous to other primitive
achondrite groups that show depletions in siderophiles and other more
volatile minerals with increasing degrees of reduction and
recrystallization (e.g. acapulcoites/lodranites, winonaites,
etc.)...though Katol would be more comparable to those groups'
volatile-enriched counterparts, which have yet to be recognized in our
collections. I don't know that one could determine the origin of the
poikilitic grains in this rock, but, the meteorite has experienced a
significant degree of macroscopic segregation (e.g. there are some
irons, some stones that are ~50/50, and some stones that are
non-magnetic). If we were talking about typical impact-derived,
ragged metal grains, it would be one thing, but that doesn't appear to
be the case. Since siderophile enrichment and depletion can happen
without complete recrystallization (e.g. Leedy and some other FeS
depleted chondrites), that in itself isn't a great argument, but those
rocks don't exhibit the same degree of metamorphism or heterogeneity.
And they probably don't exhibit the other anomalies noted by Jeff.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107508108525239417569/NewFallTS?authkey=Gv1sRgCPjn9avbhp2TrwE#5941037918280051250

Field of view is ~4cm.

Regards,
Jason