[meteorite-list] using flat lap for irons and pallasites

From: Andrey <anjer1111_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 13:25:53 +0300

Hello dear list members,
I work with different meteorites for long time, but recently decided
to start using flat lap for grinding and polishing slices of irons and
pallasites. And now I have a couple of questions for those who tried
to do this. Kindly ask to share me few moments, please...
1. How long approx. will work diamond laps for this matter?
2. I have not bad results with first steps grinding (80, 180 and 360
grits), but then something is wrong. Using 600 and 1200 grits laps I
have vertical vibration of the specimens and deep scratches (deeper
than 600 !) on the flats, especially for large specimens. Why this
happens?
My machine is 300 mm with fixed speed 520 r/m. Polishing of well
prepared specimens with diamond pastes is going well.
Will be very grateful for any useful advice.
Best regards to everyone,
Andrey

Andrey Jerochov, IMCA#6240