[meteorite-list] Bipartisan Legislation Promotes Commercial Space Ventures (ASTEROIDS Act of 2014)

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 15:06:51 -0700 (PDT)

http://posey.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=387391

Bipartisan Legislation Promotes Commercial Space Ventures
US Congressman Bill Bill Posey Press Release

Washington, Jul 10 - U.S. Representatives Bill Posey (R-FL) and Derek
Kilmer (D-WA) introduced bipartisan legislation today to expand opportunities
and protections for private space companies looking to explore space.
The American Space Technology for Exploring Resource Opportunities in
Deep Space (ASTEROIDS) Act of 2014 establishes and protects property rights
for commercial space exploration and utilization of asteroid resources.

""Asteroids are excellent potential sources of highly valuable resources
and minerals, said Rep. Bill Posey, a Member of the House Science, Space
and Technology Committee. "Our knowledge of asteroids - their number,
location, and composition - has been increasing at a tremendous rate and
space technology has advanced to the point where the private sector is
now able to begin planning such expeditions. Our legislation will help
promote private exploration and protect commercial rights as these endeavors
move forward and I thank Representative Kilmer for working with me to
help advance this industry."

"We may be many years away from successfully mining an asteroid, but the
research to turn this from science fiction into reality is being done
today," said Rep. Derek Kilmer, a member of the House Science, Space and
Technology Committee. "Businesses in Washington state and elsewhere are
investing in this opportunity, but in order to grow and create more jobs
they need greater certainty. That's why I'm excited to introduce this
bill with Representative Posey so we can help the United States access
new supplies of critical rare metals while serving as a launch pad for
a growing industry."

Currently, rare minerals used to manufacture a wide range of products
are found in a small number of countries. This has left the United States
dependent on foreign nations for these resources. The limited supply and
high demand for these materials, alongside major advances in space technology
and a deeper understanding of asteroids, has led a number of private sector
investors to begin developing plans to identify and secure high-value
minerals found on asteroids and transport them for use here on Earth.

Some rare minerals that could be found within asteroids include: platinum
group metals such as platinum, osmium, iridium, ruthenium, rhodium, and
palladium in addition to nickel, iron and cobalt.

Posey and Kilmer's bill would:

* Clarify that resources mined from an asteroid are the property of the
entity that obtained them.
* Ensure U.S. companies can conduct their operation without harmful interference.
* Direct the President to facilitate commercial development of asteroid
resources.