[meteorite-list] meteorite-list] List is getting torpid

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 16:39:54 -0400

Every now and then, one of the scientists will post something very
interesting and educational. Some of the best planetary-scientists in
the world lurk on this List and they occasionally post some really
fascinating stuff. I think what we are experiencing here, in part, is
a drain of posts going from the List to Facebook. Many regular
posters here on the List are now very active on Facebook. And, people
have a tendency to forget the good quickly and then hang on to the bad
indefinitely. It's selective memory. In the last couple of months.
we have had thought-provoking discussions about meteorites and
planetary science. Doctors Rubin, Agee, Bunch, Korotev, Grossman,
(and several others who I cannot recall at the moment), often jump in
to a discussion to provide interesting and useful insights. Those
posts just get forgotten quickly for some reason.

In my 6+ years on the List, I have seen a roller coaster of activity -
sometimes busy, sometimes not. And, there are actually fewer ads now
than there used to be years ago. Many of the people that used to post
ads are now gone and we haven't heard from them much at all in recent
years. New dealers have come on to the scene and they post ads, but
it seems to me that the number of ads has not increased - it just
seems that why because fewer people are posting in general - so the
ads are more noticeable.

Facebook is a great resource, but it will never replace the Met-List. :)
--
Web - http://www.galactic-stone.com
Pinterest - http://pinterest.com/galacticstone