[meteorite-list] Did All CI's Originate on Mars?

From: Alan Rubin <aerubin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 17:21:04 -0700

Several groups of meteorites have similar O isotopes, for example, the
Earth, Moon, EH chondrites, EL chondrites, aubrites all have the same
O-isotopic compositions. No one would say that they are all derived from
the same parent body. All that means is that the preponderance of material
is from the same O-isotopic reservoir. One does not expect chondritic
meteorites to be derived from a differentiated body. The igneous processes
involved in differentiation fractionate the chemical composition of the
constitutent rocks in various ways, making them distinctly non-chondritic.
This is particularly true of REE. The CI chondrites have many similarities
to CMs, indicating that they formed by a similar process, presumably on a
similar asteroid. These textural similarities include the olivine Fa-CaO
distributions which are similar to those in CM chondrules and CM isolated
olivine grains. There are also vary rare chondrule fragments, CAI fragments
and even one CAI in CI chondrites, indicating that they are real chondrites
in terms of texture as well as composition. There is no good reason to
believe that they are from Mars.

Alan Rubin
Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics
University of California
3845 Slichter Hall
603 Charles Young Dr. E
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1567