[meteorite-list] new book on french meteorites - need your involvement

From: Pelé Pierre-Marie <pierremariepele_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 21:02:26 +0000 (GMT)

Thanks Martin,?

you're right, many museums and universities sent me their inventory for my book in french. ?I'm sure they can send to me an updated version of their listing.

I'll also contact other meteorite forums.

Kind regards
?
Pierre-Marie Pel?
Meteor-Center
M?t?orites : achat - vente - expertise - exp?ditions - recherche
http://www.meteor-center.com
IMCA 3360

----- Mail original -----
De?: Martin Goff <msgmeteorites at gmail.com>
??: Pel? Pierre-Marie <pierremariepele at yahoo.fr>
Cc?: MeteoriteList <meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com>
Envoy? le : Mercredi 26 mars 2014 21h52
Objet?: Re: [meteorite-list] new book on french meteorites - need your involvement

My opinion would be that yes, i think the repository information is
very useful although i completely understand that it would never be
complete. I see it as a general snapshot of specimens out there. I
would imagine most museums and university collections would be happy
to provide that info (or am i wrong in saying that?) Or even that that
info is readily available in catalogues etc. regards to provate
collectors i would have thought that most folk would again be happy to
provide that info, unless people would not want their collection
details to be made public in such a forum as a printed book. My guess
would be that those would be in the minority.

So i would really welcome the reposity info as part of the book and
would say please do include it. i am sure a few repeat posts here and
on facebook forums and other forums such as BIMS and the French
meteorite forum, nugget shooters, club space rock etc would make the
request highly visible and mean you get lots of responses.

As most French meteorites are quite rare and hard (expensive) to get
hold of i think these sort of reposity lists are a very useful
snapshot whereas with more commonly held meteorites they would be much
less useful and indeed too difficult to do due to the vast number of
individual specimens ou there.

My 2 cents anyway :-)

Cheers

Martin