[meteorite-list] Definitions of types of falls and finds

From: Shawn Alan <shawnalan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2014 15:52:40 -0700

Hello Mendy and Listers

Mendy glad you posted what Jeff suggested.. Kinda makes since, but at
the end of the day all someone has to do is put that info on the
nomenclature page in description of the meteorite. I think fall or find
is perfect. All finds are falls at one point in time and all fall are
finds, cause someone found the meteorite. But the reason behind
fall/find is to document what was witnessed falling from the sky or if
it was just found. At any case, this is making my brain hurt, but I
think fall or find is perfect and don't need any other definitions to
explain those events. We have enough categories and classifications with
meteorites as is, do we really need more??? :)

Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
ebay store http://www.ebay.com/sch/imca1633nyc/m.html
Website http://meteoritefalls.com

[meteorite-list] Definitions of types of falls and finds

Mendy Ouzillou Tue, 06 May 2014 12:45:37 -0700

I've been thinking about the email Jeff sent out some time back and
wanted
to propose a slightly different set of names and simplify the
nomenclature.
You can see Jeff's original email below. I think we have all struggled
with
defining meteorites that are neither observed falls nor finds and part
of
the reason is that we were conflating too many ideas.
Observed fall: Observed to fall, either by eyewitnesses or with
instruments.
The event was well documented. Physical evidence associated with the
collected meteorites is consistent with a fresh fall, or, when
collection
does not occur immediately, the strewn field location (if there is one)
and
appearance taking into account weathering associated with time on the
ground, may be directly attributed to the fall.
Correlated fall: No material was found immediately after an observed
event,
but later analysis and physical evidence conclusively points to an
observed
event on a specific date or within a very narrow range of dates.
Find: Material was found and no event can be conclusively associated
with an
observed event. A find that appears like a fresh fall is still a find if
no
observed event can be associated with it.
Feedback welcome.
Mendy Ouzillou
IMCA8393