[meteorite-list] RIP Professor Colin Pillinger

From: Martin Goff <msgmeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 12:48:38 +0100

Hi all,

Sad news today on the passing of a space science legend Colin Pillinger. He
died suddenly of a brain haemorrhage last night. He was a truly dedicated
and inspirational man whose infectious enthusiasm for science was passed
onto many over the years.

Up until last week I was in regular correspondence with Colin mostly about
the subject of Wold Cottage and especially of the story of Major Edward
Topham. He was working on a long term book project about Topham's life and
it was this we discussed during out last conversation. I had acquired some
original documents and artwork by Edward Topham that Colin was interested
in. One thing I will always remember above all about him is his dry sense
of humour and wit that made every conversation with him a joy.

The asteroid 15614 Pillinger that is named after him is only a tiny
part of his huge legacy but one that I will remember him by everytime
I gaze spacewards.

"Brilliant but a bit bonkers" is one of the most all encompassing
quotes I have read about him today and one that rings very true. He
was a true British boffin.

I know I posted this before but for anyone that didn't see it then
please take an hour out of your day to watch this lecture by Colin and
witness the warmth, wit and character of one of the greats of space
science.

https://royalsociety.org/events/2012/stones-from-the-sky/

He will be sorely missed by many.

Sincerely