[meteorite-list] Colin Pillinger

From: Kevin Kichinka <marsrox_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 10:22:53 -0600

Team Meteorite:

The 'Michael Faraday Prize Lecture' video linked here yesterday in a
list member's heartfelt obituary for the late Professor Colin
Pillinger earns a 'two thumbs up' from this reviewer.

Professor Pillinger offers insights into the falls of Ensisheim,
Sienna, Wold Cottage and Chassigny full of content I have never known,
and I consider myself somewhat of a met history buff. Did you know
that 'Wold Cottage' was a mansion? That the owner's sense of humor was
exposed when he named his black dog, 'Snowball'?

The photos and drawings used to illustrate Pillinger's stories were
also unknown to me, and are exquisite. I wish for copies to hang over
the fireplace.

And speaking of dogs, Professor Pillinger calls the Nakhla dog story
apocalyptic. And I'm here to tell you.... well, you know how I feel
about that :>)

A discussion of ALH84001 and EETA79001 and their revealed carbonates
led him to state, "Life on Mars could be contemporary."

But here's some words to consider, as we all soon enough will be
'falling stars'...

"All you that do behold my stone,
O, think how swiftly I was gone.
Death doth not always warning give,
Therefore be careful how you live."

Watch the celebration of a man's life given to meteoritics. See it here.

https://royalsociety.org/events/2012/stones-from-the-sky/

Kevin Kichinka
Rio Oro, Santa Ana, Costa Rica
"The Art of Collecting Meteorites" on Amazon and Barnes and Noble
"The Global Meteorite Price Report - 2015" available December, 2014.
MARSROX at gmail.com