[meteorite-list] Colin Pillinger

From: Martin Goff <msgmeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 18:00:54 +0100

Hi Kevin, all,

Thank you for your double thumbs up regarding Colin Pillinger's
Faraday lecture. It was the second time I had posted a link to it here
but felt that it was such a good example of the persona of Colin
Pillinger that it needed a repeat post so that people could watch it
and celebrate the life of such a great character now sadly no longer
with us.

I cannot recommend it enough, like Kevin says full of insights into
the history of key events within the field of meteoritics and laced
with his customary sense of humour. Seeing as the prize is awarded for
excellence in communicating science I think the lecture is a superb
example of why the award was so well deserved :-)

Kevin writes 'did you know the Wold Cottage was a mansion?'? Well it
is indeed and Colin was great friends with Derek and Katrina Gray, the
owners of the Wold Cottage. I have stayed there numerous times and
cannot recommend it enough as i and my family have just booked another
stay for a week this summer :-)

Cheers

Martin

Martin Goff
www.msg-meteorites.co.uk
IMCA #3387
Sent from my mobile phone

Team Meteorite:

The 'Michael Faraday Prize Lecture' video linked here yesterday in a
list member's heartfelt obituary for the late Professor Colin
Pillinger earns a 'two thumbs up' from this reviewer.

Professor Pillinger offers insights into the falls of Ensisheim,
Sienna, Wold Cottage and Chassigny full of content I have never known,
and I consider myself somewhat of a met history buff. Did you know
that 'Wold Cottage' was a mansion? That the owner's sense of humor was
exposed when he named his black dog, 'Snowball'?

The photos and drawings used to illustrate Pillinger's stories were
also unknown to me, and are exquisite. I wish for copies to hang over
the fireplace.

And speaking of dogs, Professor Pillinger calls the Nakhla dog story
apocalyptic. And I'm here to tell you.... well, you know how I feel
about that :>)

A discussion of ALH84001 and EETA79001 and their revealed carbonates
led him to state, "Life on Mars could be contemporary."

But here's some words to consider, as we all soon enough will be
'falling stars'...

"All you that do behold my stone,
O, think how swiftly I was gone.
Death doth not always warning give,
Therefore be careful how you live."

Watch the celebration of a man's life given to meteoritics. See it here.

https://royalsociety.org/events/2012/stones-from-the-sky/

Kevin Kichinka
Rio Oro, Santa Ana, Costa Rica
"The Art of Collecting Meteorites" on Amazon and Barnes and Noble
"The Global Meteorite Price Report - 2015" available December, 2014.
MARSROX at gmail.com