[meteorite-list] New Geology About Non-Impact Circular Features

From: MEM <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 20:20:50 -0700 (PDT)

"Not pingos", is my first mindless thought.(grin)? The next mindless impression: Aren't they really talking about circular grabens? (Think collapsible drinking cups)? At some point "polyagonal" becomes circular for practical purposes. When we find that fluid dissolution removes material through fluid transport and the overburden collapses into the enlarged pores 'chambers--well around here we call them sinkholes.? "Polyagonal faults"--learn something new every day.

If anyone had mistaken these basins for impact craters, it is likely the guy over at "Wretch Fossil" who has interpreted every feature on Mars as either blood vessels, spines, neurons or, cement blocks.??

In any event, thanks for sharing, it is really interesting terrain. I wish they had included cross sections or other diagrams for the non subscriber.

Elton J