[meteorite-list] Meteorites with amino acids

From: Jim Wooddell <jim.wooddell_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 07:38:35 -0700

Hi Rob and all!

Nice list, Rob! Thanks!

I've had the opportunity to work with several Jblit Winselwan fragments
while making thin sections of them. It was obvious someone washed or
rinsed a couple of the samples I had. In what, I do not know.
Additionally, once the pieces came apart it was clear with both the none
washed samples and the washed samples, terrestrial contamination
occurred at some point in it's life on earth. All of them I have had
reminded me of goat turds as to who they were formed and stuck
together....or a part of one that had already came apart. Very
delicate material, but could be taken apart.

So, I wonder what affect this would have on any amino acid study where
strict handling protocol of the sample did not occur and what affect
this would have on a study where terrestrial contamination is obvious.
Would scientist still be able to isolate particles for studying amino
acids and not be too concerned about contamination???

Have a great day!

Jim Wooddell