[meteorite-list] M 009

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 19:30:03 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Bernd and All,
Thanks for the many leads and suggestions that you have given me, Bernd, but
I'm starting to accept the possibility that the "M" (with a line through it)
signifies that it is a "Meteor-wrong". :-(
Which would explain why it was in the Ron Hartman Collection without a label.

The negative evidence against that supposition is that M001. thru M008. are nowhere to be found.
But this "M009." may have been the best of the lot; a real "keeper". The kind that you save for those games of one-up-man-ship when the hunters sit around the campfire and talk about the heartbreakers that didn't pan-out. "You think that ones purrty, take a gander at this beauty, boys!"

If I'm at a dead-end on this one, I guess I'll have to make a thin-section to confirm ID.
But then again, if I convince myself that this is just a limy siltstone with a small patch of psilomelane coating the exterior,
a cheaper/quicker method of IDing would be to take a small chip and dissolve the carbonate matrix in acid, then examine
whatever silicate grains remain under a microscope. I expect I'll see quartz. :-(
In any case, I'll report back the results to satisfy anyone's remaining curiosity.
And yes, of course, I will cancel my "M009. auction" : http://tinyurl.com/pclbfg2

Again, thanks to everyone for their ID help with the label, and for those in the US
Happy Thanksgiving,
Bob V.