[meteorite-list] 10.04.14 AZ Daytime Fireball: Direct compass measurements

From: Matson, Rob D. <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 21:01:51 +0000

Hi Steve/All,

First off, I want to thank you for having an all-sky camera that was operating
during the daytime and captured this event. As far as I know, it is the only
image/video record of the 4 October fireball itself, though of course there
are many images of the smoke trail clouds. Without the video record, it
would have been much more difficult to determine the bolide's true
flight direction, and of course the video also provides an accurate time
for the event. The timing is important, because without it one can only
estimate how much time has elapsed between the event and the images
of the smoke trails taken minutes later.

I've spent a little over 40 hours on this fireball, unfortunately much of it
wasted chasing coincidental radar returns that were aligned with the
fireball's NE azimuth from Flagstaff. Initially these radar returns looked
promising because they were at a reasonable range from Flagstaff for
a typical fireball terminal altitude (25-35 km), and they appeared in the
scans immediately following the event (which we knew thanks to Steve's
camera). As encouraging as the timing and location of the radar hits
were, there were reasons for concern. Hits at roughly the same location
but at lower altitude were present well before and after the meteor
occurred, which I initially ascribed to bad luck. But with the known
reduced sensitivity of NEXRAD over the last couple years, I should have
raised the red flag a bit higher than I did. Bottom line is that these radar
hits are spurious and unrelated to the fall.

The reason I know this is that I've got decent triangulation solutions for
the smoke trail images combined with Steve's video which put the
terminal altitude MUCH lower than is typical: certainly less than 20 km,
and possibly as low as 15 km! We also know the entry angle was very
steep, in a roughly NE to SW direction, based on parallax between
the various sites. For instance, Steve's camera saw the fireball start at
an elevation of about 25 degrees, azimuth ~50 degrees. The terminus
was at around an azimuth of 46.5-degrees (pending refinement of
my calibration solution for Steve's camera). Steve mentioned that with
a compass he measured a terminal azimuth of 43 degrees, but I'm
pretty confident it's a few degrees more than this. We'll eventually
track down the source of the discrepancy. (For instance, the magnetic
declination for Flagstaff is 10.76 degrees -- about a quarter degree
higher than the 10.5 he used, so that will increase his azimuth to
~43.3. But that still leaves a 3-degree discrepancy.)

Steve was also good enough to travel out to the Bellemont NWS
site that took an image of the smoke trails several minutes after