[meteorite-list] Attention treasure-hunters! €10k pieces of meteorite fall in Ireland

From: Shawn Alan <shawnalan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 08:21:41 -0700

Hello Listers,

I am glad I am a meteorite collector... For many reasons :)

Enjoy

Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
ebay store http://www.ebay.com/sch/imca1633ny/m.html
Website http://meteoritefalls.com

Attention treasure-hunters! ?10k pieces of meteorite fall in Ireland

"
An Irish person could be in for a cash windfall after pieces of
meteorite worth up to ?10,000 each fell from the skies at the weekend.

Hundreds of people witnessed a fireball streaking across the Irish skies
at approximately 10.10pm on Sunday evening.

According to David Moore, editor of the Astronomy Ireland magazine, each
piece of meteorite could fetch up to ten times the price of gold in the
collectors' market.

At the current price of gold, this means that a piece of meteorite rock
weighing approximately 28 grams could make the lucky person a cool
?10,000.

It is believed that two meteorites land in Ireland every year, but they
are rarely visible to the naked eye.

Astronomy Ireland have received hundreds of reports of the sighting,
with coast guards in the south-west of the country getting mistaken
reports of 'flares being released'.

Experts believe this meteorite, seen streaking from Kerry towards
Donegal, could have been as large as a car while still whole.

"There is a chance some parts of this meteorite survive, and we think it
may have fallen somewhere in the north of the country," Astronomy
Ireland's David Moore told RTE Radio One's Morning Ireland as he
appealed for people to share their stories of the sighting.

"We'd ask people to get in contact with us while it's still fresh in
their mind. Check your CCTV cameras if you have them, a photographic
report would be worth hundreds of eye witness reports," he said.

"The price of meteorites and what they're worth would come from the
collectors and what they're prepared to pay," he continued.

"It is a big trade and Irish meteorites are very rare. It's a small
island, this doesn't happen very often."

source:
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/attention-treasurehunters-10k-pieces-of-meteorite-fall-in-ireland-31178369.html