[meteorite-list] Important Announcement form the Nomenclature Committee

From: Carl Agee <agee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 13:08:00 -0700

Hi Mike,

In a nutshell, the new rules allow geographic names for any Moroccan
meteorite with find coordinates. To simplify the naming in desert
areas, part of Morocco will have DCA grids. Under the new rules, any
meteorite without coordinates, originating in Morocco or surroundings
(meaning in practical terms purchased in Morocco) will be given a NWA
name. The new style NWAs will start with NWA 10001 to set them apart
from the old style NWA rules. There will be no retroactive names
assigned in this new scheme. Nothing will change in the naming of
falls, which will always have unique geographic names.

Hope this clarifies.

Carl
*************************************
Carl B. Agee
Director and Curator, Institute of Meteoritics
Professor, Earth and Planetary Sciences
MSC03 2050
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131-1126