[meteorite-list] What's Happening; 2-18-15

From: Count Deiro <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 09:15:47 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Hi Adam and all,

These incisions are both modern. This type of cattle never exisited on this continent in modern, or prehistoric times. Also the medium into which they were incised was never used in the South West for this type of art.

The cattle are plainly Middle Eastern/Indo/Asian types. Horn position, width and length. Bramhan type body with hump and body length, weight, etc. etc.

I must admit that they (assuming they are different works) are unique in their location and presentation. But, never the less show all indications of being tool made and modern representations, or reproductions.

To acknowledge this animal as associated with any North American civilization would be to fly in the face of all we know about North American wild and domesticated cattle and their time of introduction.

Count Deiro

Nevada Museum of Art Center for Art + the Environment (the Deiro Collection) Reno, Nevada

Board Member Emeritus-State of Nevada-Nevada Arts Council-National Endowment of the Arts.