[meteorite-list] Vesta

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 14:11:05 -0700

Here is the abstract to the original paper published in Science in 1970.

Asteroid vesta: spectral reflectivity and compositional implications.

McCord TB, Adams JB, Johnson TV.

Abstract

The spectral reflectivity (0.30 to 1.10 microns) of several asteroids has
been measured for the first time. The reflection spectrum for Vesta
contains a strong absorption band centered near 0.9 micron and a weaker
absorption feature between 0.5 and 0.6 micron. The reflectivity decreases
strongly in the ultraviolet. The reflection spectrum for the asteroid
Pallas and probably for Ceres does not contain the 0.9-micron band. Vesta
shows the strongest and best-defined absorption bands yet seen in the
reflection spectrum for the solid surface of an object in the solar
system. The strong 0.9-micron band arises from electronic absorptions in
ferrous iron on the M2 site of a magnesian pyroxene. Comparison with
laboratory measurements on meteorites and Apollo 11 samples indicates that
the surface of Vesta has a composition very similar to that of certain
basaltic achondrites.

Larry