[meteorite-list] NASA mission provides closest ever look at dwarf planet Ceres

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 16:49:57 -0700

Hi Shawn:

The short answer is, unfortunately, probably not.

Ceres generally looks similar (but not a match) to CIs and CMs (clay
minerals). This we have known for many years. However, there also seems to
be brucite (magnesium hydroxide) which is an indication of low temperature
hydrothermal alteration of olivine-rich(?) minerals on Ceres. This is not
inconsistent with what we seem to be seeing on Ceres with what appears to
be bright spots (related to craters or geysers).

http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/v2/n4/full/ngeo478.html

Larry