[meteorite-list] Lucky Strike - What We Can Learn From A Massive Meteor Crater

From: Shawn Alan <shawnalan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 16:09:01 -0700

Hello Listers

Click on the link its by the science channel have fun :)

Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
ebay store http://www.ebay.com/sch/imca1633ny/m.html
Website http://meteoritefalls.com

Link: http://www.popsci.com/extreme-science-meteor-crater

Intro:

50,000 years ago, a dense chunk of nickel and iron, over 100 feet
across, entered the Earth?s atmosphere. It sped towards the surface at
45,000 miles per hour, and slammed into the lush woodlands of North
America. The impact left a giant hole?590 feet deep and three-quarters
of a mile wide?in the landscape of what is now northern Arizona.

Today, we know the site as Meteor Crater. It has fascinated generations
of people, but we are still only just beginning to understand asteroids,
the phenomenon that excavated this remarkable location. To really get
the scope of this natural wonder, Popular Science sent extreme science
correspondent Jake Roper to take us on a video tour.