[meteorite-list] Notice to eBay Meteorite Sellers

From: Anne Black <impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 16:36:49 -0500

Mike,

I am sorry to disagree with you but if I was still selling on Ebay I would require buyers to use Paypal. Why? Let me tell you why.

A few years ago, when I was still accepting credit cards, a guy bought $4000 worth of merchandise, my bank accepted the card, so did the issuing bank, and told me that I was clear to ship. A few weeks later the $4000 disappeared from my bank account. I called my bank then the other bank, and ended up having not so friendly discussions with the fraud department of 3 different banks, and they all said the same thing. A guy with a stolen credit card number has 2 to 3 weeks to buy up a storm (often on Ebay!), stuff he can resell quickly on Craiglist (or Ebay!), gather up the loot and disappear, before the real owner of the card discovers the problem. By then you find out that the name was fake (since he gave you the card number in an email you never saw what name was really on the card), the address was a mail box somewhere. The 3 banks admitted that stealing meteorites was unusual but the rest was standard procedure, and no, there was nothing they could/would do about my loss.

So I was out $4000 and the merchandise; since it happened to be consignment pieces, I also had to paid the owner of those pieces. That is when I stopped accepting cards. I already had a Paypal account, most everybody including big institutions (even NASA!) have one too, so now my preferred form of payment is Paypal. And no I have never had a problem with Paypal.

I made that decision a few years ago, before Target, Home Depot, and many others got hacked and millions of credit card numbers got stolen, so the odds of dealing with a thief with a stolen card are even greater now. And since I don't want my card numbers to be stolen too, I have retired them, I pay everything cash or checks (or Paypal on the Net). And it has never been a problem.

Have I lost sales because of it? not that I know of, even during the Tucson Show, people are happy to whip out their smart phone and go to Paypal.

And now you know.

Anne M. Black
www.IMPACTIKA.com
IMPACTIKA at aol.com