[meteorite-list] Mauritania, Morocco, Tunisia, and Safety or Terrorism Concerns

From: J Sinclair <john_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 20:38:33 -0400

Mike,

Morocco is where the concentration of the meteorite trading with our
Country, the US, is taking place. There are many Moroccans that visit
this country to sell at the two biggest gem, mineral and fossil shows
here, Tucson and Denver. They have been coming for years, long before
the large increase in the number of meteorites that are being found in
the Sahara. With a passport and visa, there is free travel between our
country and theirs. There are a lot of Americans that travel there.
The country's abundance of minerals, fossils and meteorites make it a
popular place for people that have an interest in natural history to
travel to.

A quick look at the list from the State Department doesn't list
Morocco as a country with travel warnings.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings.html

In fact, the Meteoritical Society held its annual meeting in
Casablanca just six months ago. It was attended by scientists and
meteorite enthusiasts from around the world.

Desert borders can be blurry though. Americans haven't been safe along
some of those borders for decades.

Is Morocco a place you would be afraid to go to?

Morocco shouldn't be grouped with the countries that have travel
warnings just because Morocco is on the same continent with them and
because of theories about social tolerance and the opinion of it being
a good place to strike Western interests. There are many places that
fit that criteria.

The US State Department does warn us about travel to Mexico, the
Ukraine, Iraq, Haiti, Honduras, Columbia and many other places
including some that you mention. Morocco isn't one of them.

Terrorist events over the last few decades have shown us that we may
not be safe in places like Boston, New York, Oklahoma City, Paris and
many others.

Traveling anywhere including just down the street isn't as safe as it
used to be. Morocco is one place I would feel comfortable traveling
to. Paris and Boston too.

Best regards, John