[meteorite-list] Link between the potentially hazardous Asteroid (86039) 1999 NC43 and the Chelyabinsk meteoroid tenuous

From: Matson, Rob D. <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 20:20:31 +0000

Hi Shawn,

The presumed association between Chelyabinsk and (86039) 1999 NC43 is
dependent on whose computed orbit you believe for Chelyabinsk. If you
use the Popova-Jenniskens-Emel'yanenko-et al orbit, (86039) is not a
bad match, though the orbital inclinations differ by 2.2 degrees. Of the
dozen or so Chelyabinsk orbital element solutions floating around on the
web, Popova et al's has the highest inclination (4.93 +/- 0.48) and the highest
eccentricity (0.58 +/- 0.02), which are both driving similarity to (86039)
which has i=7.1236, e=0.57914.

If instead you use Nakano (a=1.6223665, e=0.5311191, i=3.87128,
node=326.42524, arg.peri.=109.70844), then there are five other
asteroids with orbits that are a better match to Chelyabinsk, notably
2011 EO40 which has a=1.65413, e=0.54017, e=3.3628.

--Rob