[meteorite-list] Public Event Will Celebrate NASA Mission to Dwarf Planet Ceres

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 10:45:16 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4573

Public Event Will Celebrate NASA Mission to Dwarf Planet Ceres
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
May 5, 2015

NASA's Dawn mission will host the flagship event for its "I C Ceres" space
festival at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena on Saturday,
May 9, from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The free event is intended for all ages.

The first part of the event, an outdoor space expo, will take place at
Caltech's Beckman Auditorium Mall from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Visitors can
take a tour of our solar system, with booths featuring NASA missions,
and learn how NASA communicates with spacecraft beyond Earth orbit. Live
educational stage demonstrations will take place every 30 minutes. Additional
attractions include meteorites, rover wheels and other space hardware
available to touch; virtual walks on the moon, Mars and asteroid Vesta;
and face painting. Food will be available for purchase at onsite food
trucks.

The second part of the event is a series of talks scheduled from 12:30
to 4:30 p.m. in Beckman Auditorium. The first talk, from 12:30 to 1:30
p.m., is geared for a younger audience, while the talks after 2 p.m. are
more appropriate for adults.

Speakers include:

-- Jim Green, Director, Planetary Science Division, NASA Headquarters,
Washington

-- Carol Raymond, Dawn mission deputy principal investigator, NASA's Jet
Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, California

-- Dante Lauretta, OSIRIS REx mission principal investigator, University
of Arizona, Tucson

-- Claudia Alexander, U.S. Rosetta project scientist, JPL

-- Alan Stern, New Horizons mission principal investigator, Southwest
Research Institute, Boulder, Colorado

The talks, including a panel discussion about icy worlds, asteroids and
comets, will also be broadcast live via Ustream at:

http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/news/i_c_ceres_bios.html

Other I C Ceres events are being hosted by museums, planetariums, universities
and individuals in the U.S. and abroad.

More information about the I C Ceres event is available at:

http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/news/I_C_ceres.html

Dawn's mission is managed by JPL, a division of the California Institute
of Technology in Pasadena, for NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington.
Dawn is a project of the directorate's Discovery Program, managed by NASA's
Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama. UCLA is responsible
for overall Dawn mission science. Orbital ATK, Inc., in Dulles, Virginia,
designed and built the spacecraft. The German Aerospace Center, the Max
Planck Institute for Solar System Research, the Italian Space Agency and
the Italian National Astrophysical Institute are international partners
on the mission team. For a complete list of acknowledgements, visit:

http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/mission

For more information about the Dawn mission, visit:

http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov

Media Contact

Elizabeth Landau
NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
818-354-6425
Elizabeth.Landau at jpl.nasa.gov

2015-152