[meteorite-list] R: Chelyabinsk--OT

From: Francesco Moser <cojack_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 11:31:08 +0200

Hello John!
On Wikipedia you can find some interesting data about the energy released:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelyabinsk_meteor

But remember that 500kt is the total kinetic energy of the
meteoroid/asteroid. Most of this energy was absorbed by atmosphere and
released in heat and light, the shock wave (mechanical energy) was produced
by a small part of the total energy of 500kt.

Ciao

Francesco