[meteorite-list] Lunar meteorites selling for peanuts

From: Shawn Alan <shawnalan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 09:48:22 -0700

Hello Listers,

I agree, its supply and demand. Heck, I got a Martian for $125 per gram.
As for planataries, this is my theory... All you really need is a couple
meteorites from each body and then you move on. True, there is
scientific value to be had, but that's the case with every meteorite.
The question is, is if it hold's historic merit and science is historic
merit as well.... if its important.

For me, I would like to get a Nakhla again, I traded mine, but till
then, ill hold onto my NWA martian. As for lunar meteorites are
concerned, if it looks like a lunar and acts like a lunar point me in
the direction to the best look example for the cheapest price :)

Now here's the ticker.... Lets say someone finds a lunar meteorite in
USA would it be more then NWA lunar? In my book no, it would be the
same. Even if it was some new classification I think it would be the
same.? Cause at the end of the day, its still from the moon. How many
more meteorites can one collect from the moon?

Now if its the first lunar meteorite fall that can cause an up roar and
if it hit something or killed a horse or cow, or hits some lady in the
hip, I think it would be a pretty penny. But again, its still from the
moon and each year more and more meteorites keep coming from the moon.
Just think, in 20 years from now, there will be 200 more lunar
meteorites on the market.... Just say. But I would say this, the first
lunar fall will be historic and when that happens you better buy up all
the lunar meteorites you can, cause the price of a lunar meteorite will

Now back to martian meteorites... They can hold merit, black beauty can
sell for a lot, but has dropped in price, while Nakhla has stayed its
ground. When science discovers life on Mars, martian meteorites will go
up in value over night and lot of people will make some coins if they
cash out what they have, only time will tell with martian meteorites.

I guess at the end of the day, we need some big planetary event to make
these peanuts into pecans :) and when that happens meteorite collecting
will go full throttle in collecting and price.

Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
ebay store http://www.ebay.com/sch/imca1633ny/m.html
Website http://meteoritefalls.com