[meteorite-list] Very Bright Fireball Over Europe on Halloween Night

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2015 16:43:35 -0700

Meteor color is important. It's just not a very useful measure for
determining composition. Color changes with meteor speed and meteor
depth in the atmosphere. And certainly, the composition is a factor,
both in terms of chemical composition and bulk properties. But the
relationship is complex, so there's no simple correlation between these
things and color that we can make much use of.

Common groups of factors tend to lead to common colors, which is why we
see specific colors with specific showers.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com