[meteorite-list] Planetary Resources Applauds U.S. Congress in Recognizing Asteroid Resource Property Rights

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 16:55:30 -0800 (PST)

http://www.planetaryresources.com/2015/11/planetary-resources-applauds-u-s-congress-in-recognizing-asteroid-resource-property-rights/

Planetary Resources Applauds U.S. Congress in Recognizing Asteroid Resource Property Rights
November 10, 2015

Redmond, Wash. - November 10, 2015 - Planetary Resources, Inc., the asteroid
mining company, praises the members of Congress who promoted historic
legislation (H.R. 2262) that recognizes the right of U.S. citizens to
own asteroid resources they obtain as property and encourages the commercial
exploration and recovery of resources from asteroids, free from harmful
interference.

This legislation creates a pro-growth environment for the development
of the commercial space industry by encouraging private sector investment
and ensuring a more stable and predictable regulatory regime. This law
is important for the industry and is integral to protecting and supporting
U.S. interests as the commercial space sector continues to expand.

"We are proud to have the support of Congress. Throughout history, governments
have spurred growth in new frontiers by instituting sensible legislation.
Long ago, The Homestead Act of 1862 advocated for the search for gold
and timber, and today, H.R. 2262 fuels a new economy that will open many
avenues for the continual growth and prosperity of humanity. This off-planet
economy will forever change our lives for the better here on Earth," said
Chris Lewicki, President and Chief Engineer, Planetary Resources, Inc.

"Planetary Resources is grateful for the leadership shown by Congress
in crafting this legislation and looks forward to President Obama signing
the language into law. We applaud the members of Congress who have led
this effort and actively sought stakeholder input to ensure a vibrant
economy and prosperous way of life now and for centuries to come. Patty
Murray (D-WA), Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), Lamar Smith (R-TX), Bill Posey (R-FL)
and Derek Kilmer (D-WA) have been unwavering in their support and leadership
for the growth of the U.S. economy into the Solar System. Their forward-looking
stance and active role in enabling the development of an economically
and strategically valuable new marketplace will ensure our country's continued
leadership in space," said Peter Marquez, Vice President of Global Engagement,
Planetary Resources, Inc.

Senator Murray said, "I am glad that we've taken this important step forward
to update our federal policies to make sure they work for innovative businesses
creating jobs in Washington state. Washington state leads in so many
ways, and I'm proud that local businesses are once again at the forefront
of new industries that will help our economy continue to grow."

Congressman Posey said, "This bipartisan, bicameral legislation is a landmark
for American leadership in space exploration. Recognizing basic legal
protections in space will help pave the way for exciting future commercial
space endeavors. Asteroids and other objects in space are excellent potential
sources of rare minerals and other resources that can be used to manufacture
a wide range of products here on Earth and to support future space exploration
missions. Americans willing to invest in space mining operations need
legal certainty that they can keep the fruits of their labor, and this
bill provides that certainty."

Congressman Kilmer said, "The commercial space industry in Washington
state is leading the way in developing the cutting edge technology necessary
to support human space exploration. The U. S. Commercial Space Launch
Competitiveness Act will give these ventures the framework they need to
continue to innovate, and to keep the United States at the head of this
growing, global industry. I congratulate the Senate for taking this step,
and I look forward to the House quickly sending this bill to President
Obama's desk."

Eric Anderson, Co-Founder and Co-Chairman, Planetary Resources, Inc.,
said, "Many years from now, we will view this pivotal moment in time as
a major step toward humanity becoming a multi-planetary species. This
legislation establishes the same supportive framework that created the
great economies of history, and it will foster the sustained development
of space."