[meteorite-list] AD - Small fragment of the Famenin (Iran) hammerstone for sale

From: Michael Mazur <mjmazur_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 18:28:50 +0200

As you many of you may recall, on the 27th of June there was a
meteorite fall in the town of Famenin, Iran. At about 8:30 that
morning, a fellow living in the town heard a loud bang from his roof
and decided to take a look. What he discovered when he got up onto his
flat roof was a hole the size of his fist and number of black-crusted
rock fragments scattered about. These rocks, of course, turned out to
be bits of a meteorite that had slammed into his house and shattered
into numerous pieces which were then scattered over a radius of many
meters.

Anyway, to make a long story short, it turns out that this rock is a
transitional H/L3 type (that is what is being submitted). This makes
it one of 51 recorded H/L meteorites. And since only 8 of these were
H/L3 (none of which were falls) with a TKW of just over 1300g, this
700g meteorite is very special indeed!

The piece that we're offering right now is a 0.41g fragment of the
hammer. It's a nice little piece with about 30% fusion crust. It's
listed as a (crude) auction that I've setup on a website at,

http://hammerstone.eu/index.php/auctions/

To bid, simply put in your dollar amount along with your name and
email address in the appropriate boxes and click 'Place Bid.' At the
end of the auction (now changed to Monday 18h (UTC+1)), the winner
will be notified and can pay with PayPal. As I'm traveling on Monday,
I wil send the fragment out on Tuesday.

Thanks,

Mike

P.S. The story wouldn?t be complete without mentioning that, roughly
one month later, another meteorite fell to the northwest near the
village of Moshampa. The first recovered stone of this fall was almost
a hammer itself as it was picked up by a farmer who heard it hit the
ground close to where he was standing. In total, about 4 kg of what
appears to be an LL (guessing low petrographic grade from the whopping
2g that we have) has been recovered but it has proven to be very
difficult to get a hold of.

--
Michael Mazur
Lag?rdsveien 131