[meteorite-list] The Holocene Start Impact Event

From: Paul H. <inselberg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 10:21:48 -0400

 In Re: The Holocene Start Impact Event and
on September 10, 2015, E.P. Grondine wrote

"Hi Paul- thanks for your note.
Now, let me draw you a picture:
http://archaeologica.boardbot.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3656 "

The in above web page among various stuff, you stated:

"In the first of my notes, I speculated on the timing of
the beginning of the Holocene Start Impact Event. In
this note, I moved on to consider some possible
physical evidence, and call attention to an earlier
comment by David Ollen on the mechanics of large
hypervelocity impacts onto ice sheet"

This refers to an article "Did A Massive Meteor Touch
Down Here" by By Graham Mason in the Lloydminster
Meridian Booster, which is at:
http://www.meridianbooster.com/2009/03/18/did-a-massive-meteor-touch-down-here

In the past, you have asked for my comments on this
feature, but I have been preoccupied with a geoarchaeological
study of the Louisiana Continental Shelf and Slope for the
Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, onshore geological
mapping, and other projects. Having just got back from the
field earlier than expected, I have had time to see what
has been pubished about the geology of the Kitscoty,
Alberta area in which this feature is located.

Fortunately, there exist decent, detailed geological maps of that
part of Alberta, e.g. Crickmay et al. (1942) and (Glombick 2014a,
2014b). Although there is an ovalish outcrop pattern, the
comparison of these geological maps to local topographic maps
found that this and other outcrop patterans are controlled by the
local topography. The best that I can find, the local structure
consists of gently dipping Cretaceous clastic strata that lack
any discernable uplifts or any other structure that can be
currently interpreted to be related to a major extraterrestrial
impact.

If a person looks hard enough anywhere in the world he
or she can find any number of enigmatic circular, oval, circular
and curvilinear features of uncertain origin illustrated in
Gableman (1984) that are not related impact structures or
craters. Of course, Gableman (1984) provides only one of
many explantions offered for these still mysterious features.

Buy the way, an interesting web page related to Alberta
impact structures is:

Cypress Hills region - Bedrock Geology and Physiography
Astroblemes around the Cypress Hills (Eagle Butte structure)
http://www.scirpus.ca/escape/scapebib/sect251.htm

A recently published open-access and interesting paper
related to the Younger Dryas is:

Ancient Cold Period Could Provide Clues About Future
Climate Change, University of Texas News, Sept. 2, 2015
http://news.utexas.edu/2015/09/02/ancient-cold-period-could-provide-clues-on-climate-change

Partin,, J. W., T. M. Quinn, C.-C. Shen, Y. Okumura, M. B.
Cardenas, F. P. Siringan, J. L. Banner, K. Lin, H.-M. Hu, and
F. W. Taylor, 2015, Gradual onset and recovery of the
Younger Dryas abrupt climate event in the tropics. Nature
Communications 6, Article number: 8061 doi:10.1038/ncomms9061
Received 10 October 2014 Accepted 13 July 2015
Published 02 September 2015
Abstract at : http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2015/150902/ncomms9061/full/ncomms9061.html
PDF at: http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2015/150902/ncomms9061/pdf/ncomms9061.pdf

References Cited

Crickmay, C. H., G. S. Hume, and C. O. Hage (1942) Kitscoty,
Alberta. Geological Survey of Canada Map 673A. scale
1:253,440. Geological Survey of Canada/Department of Mines.
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
http://geoscan.ess.nrcan.gc.ca/starweb/geoscan/servlet.starweb?path=geoscan/geoscanfastlink_e.web&search1=R=106804
http://geoscan.nrcan.gc.ca/starweb/geoscan/servlet.starweb?path=geoscan/downloade.web&search1=R=106804
http://geoscan.nrcan.gc.ca/starweb/geoscan/servlet.starweb?path=geoscan/geoscan_e.web

Gableman, J. W. (1984) Circular Geomorphic Features
Permissive to Interpretation as Conduits of Mantle Degasing.
Global Tectonics and Metallogeny. vol. 2, nos. 3 and 4,
pp. 151-168.

Glombick, P. M. (2014a) Bedrock Geology of the Vermillion Area,
Alberta (NTS 73E). AER/AGS Map 570. scale 1:250,000. Alberta
Energy Regulator, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
http://www.ags.gov.ab.ca/publications/abstracts/MAP_570.html
http://www.ags.gov.ab.ca/publications/map/PDF/Map_570.pdf
http://www.ags.gov.ab.ca/gis/

Glombick, P. M. (2014b) Bedrock Geology of the Wainwright Area,
Alberta (NTS 73E). AER/AGS Map 569. scale 1:250,000. Alberta
Energy Regulator, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
http://www.ags.gov.ab.ca/publications/abstracts/MAP_569.html
http://www.ags.gov.ab.ca/gis/

Yours,

Paul H.