[meteorite-list] Sutter's Mill request

From: lgarvie at cox.net <lgarvie_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 12:16:59 -0700

Dear Meteorite collectors,

I am in the process of working on the bulk mineralogy of Sutter?s Mill as determined by powder x-ray diffraction. I have run several samples now, including the pre-rain SM3, and found some interesting minerals. My big interest is in the clay mineralogy, the quantity and type in each sample I am arguing reflects degree of pre-terrestrial heating. I now have a relatively good dataset of samples (SM3,41,38,49,65,8,6,12,53), but would dearly like to run a few more. There seems to be some gaps in the data with regards to clay content and hence heating. I don?t know yet whether this gap reflects the fact that I have not looked at enough samples, or is real and is telling us that there are two groups of Sutter?s Mill - clay rich (mildly heated), and clay poor (heated to high temperature).

So, I am looking for small pieces of samples for my research. Ideally, I am looking for donations of small fragments - 100 mg would be perfect, though I can still work on samples in the 20 mg range.

If anyone has samples available, then please feel free to email me.

Thanks

Laurence

Dr. Laurence A.J. Garvie

Chair, Nomenclature Committee