[meteorite-list] Hunting Arizona's Newest Strewn Field

From: Ruben Garcia <rubengarcia85382_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2016 08:56:54 -0700

Hi all,

1. I used an older camera which I'm 99 % sure has no GPS
capabilities. However, Rob, Sterling and Jim are smart and could
probably find the area if I had posted hand drawn pictures with stick
figures.

2. I was never told to keep the area a secret but did not pinpoint it
out of respect to the finder.

3. I feel like there are so few meteorite hunters that care anymore
that it wouldn't make any difference. Example: 5 or so years ago
probably 5-10 well known hunters drove to Texas to hunt an area where
a small iron meteorite called Llano River was found - no more was
ever found.

However, only a few weeks ago I called nearly a dozen people to join
me in Texas to Hunt the Clarendon area where I told them I found
hundreds of Clarendon (c) fragments. No one wanted to go. Not until
Geoff finally joined me - after I had made several trips - and we
found so many fragments it was like shooting fish in a barrel. Now a
few later mentioned that they wished they had gone but they still
haven't.

My feeling is most meteorite hunters don't care enough to go, let
alone do a little detective work. But if they do find it good. Go
find more!

Enough said?

4. I am 100% sure the meteorites I saw are at least an (L) but
wouldn't shock me at all if they were (LL). But the largest one - even
though looked like an L - did not have the same "look" as the others.
The smaller ones remind me of a slightly more weathered Holbrook. Marc
Fries mentioned that the low weathering look is highly reminiscent of
an LL which I agree.

--
Rock On!
Ruben Garcia