[meteorite-list] A special request

From: debfred at att.net <debfred_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 06:50:20 +0000 (UTC)

I met Larry Sloan when we got together to form the Colorado Meteorite Society in the early days of this century. He was always friendly, cheerful and ready to help or go hunt meteorites. That is what he seemed to like best and is also what I like to do best! Larry is my hero because while I most often have an excuse why I can?t go hunting right now, Larry had loaded his ATV, hooked up his trailer, and headed to the latest strewnfield or set out to find a new one. I did get to hunt with Larry in 5 states in the Southwest. When I was headed to or home from Tucson, I would call him to get his current location and drive out to find him dry camped by himself many miles from any blacktop road. He loved to share his photos of his latest finds of meteorites or interesting rocks. Larry loved the science of Meteoritics and donated many specimens to labs, schools, and Museums.

I can?t imagine how different Tucson will be this year without Larry?s grinning face to brighten each day. Some days he would show up first thing in the morning wearing his self-collected chondrite belt buckle carrying a box of doughnuts sent by ET and Patrick Thompson. In the late afternoon after I had spent a long day in the sun and wind, Larry would show up with a red solo cup of ET?s out of this world Margaritas in each hand for me and my friend Ralph. I don?t expect to meet a finer person and friend than Larry Sloan! I like Dana?s thought that Larry might not be ready to RIP but to work on sending us some special rocks from Heaven. Keep on hunting!

Fred Olsen, Denver