[meteorite-list] 'The Art of Collecting Meteorites" - hard copy available

From: Kevin Kichinka <marsrox_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 03:15:45 +0300

Team Meteorite:

In 2005, sales of this 232 pp book began, two-hundred copies sold the first
week.

While still electronically available today on Amazon and Nook for $9.95,
almost all 1,200 'hard' copies were sold and it has been out-of-print for
several years.

Back then, 'Sold' copies were individually packed and hand-delivered to the
post office one-by-one, helping define the term 'labor of love'.

I have six pristine copies left here in Costa Rica. No eBay auction today,
but I'm offering one or two copies ONLY HERE to loyal list members.

What is this book about?

It is a history of meteorite collecting and the influential players from
the 17th century leading up until 2005, perhaps a unique period for our
hobby.

Barrels of NWA had not yet diminished the perceived value of these rocks.
The internet had not yet entirely replaced mailed pricelists. With ALH84001
fossil-bacteria discovery pushing met prices to Mars in the mid-1990's,
 the energy and sense of 'specialness' surrounding the hobby was widespread
and exploding.

Now those of us, like me, who are still thrilled by these objects of our
remarkable universe will find this book very helpful in seeking and
curating the best specimens at the best prices. Some things never change.
But there's so much, much more.

A couple of my features are re-purposed from Meteorite magazine. You will
learn that Alois von Widmannstatten was not the discoverer of the iconic
pattern etched into Irons in 1808, William Thomson was in 1804. Why not
honor him and re-name this the 'Thomson structure"?

With the current recovery of Bolivia's second authenticated meteorite
making news, you can read about the expeditions leading to the recovery of
the country's first in 2001.

Then there's that tale of a dog...

ORichard Norton wrote the foreword.

Joel Schiff, the founder/publisher of Meteorite! edited.

Geoffrey Notkin designed a magnificent book.

Tom Phillips allowed the first-ever publication of his meteorite micro
visions.

Darryl Pitt inspired me to greater things with word and deed.

Jeff Grossman, Norbert Classen, Blaine Reed, Matlin Cilz, David New, Mark
Bostick, Al Mitterling, Dean Bessey, Bernd Pauli, Monica Grady and Steve
Schoner contributed personal stories and important insights.

Robert Haag shared his adventures in becoming the next meteorite-marketing
driving force, expanding upon the techniques of Harvey Nininger and gave
the book "Three thumbs, way, way up!"

I am suggesting an auction, starting bid at $40 for one copy mailed within
the US, extra postage outside those boundaries.

Additionally, I will sign one other copy, same conditions, starting bid at
$50.

I am donating these small proceeds along with other funds I'm raising
elsewhere to my local pueblo here in Costa Rica. There's some issues that
aren't being addressed that compel me to do something. I'm not wealthy, but
luckily its one of those places yet where $10 'means something.'

Feel free to post bids on the m-list or privately E-mail me offers at
Marsrox at gmail.com. I will respond to all, assuming an internet signal.

Auction(s) ends this Saturday at local sunset (about 7pm EST).

Please, someone start at the opening bid price.

I'll send the m-list one update Saturday morning and reveal any winning
bids Sunday.

Book(s) will be mailed upon my return to Florida just before Christmas and
certainly before December 28. I'll send a Paypal invoice Sunday and funds
must be deposited by Monday afternoon so I can pack the book(s) for my trip.

I am forever grateful for all those who contributed to 'The Art of
Collecting Meteorites'. Here's your chance for a copy.

Now bid!

>From Nine Degrees North...

Kevin Kichinka