[meteorite-list] Cutting Tip

From: Raremeteorites <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 18:06:55 -0800

Dear List Members,

Some Team LunarRock members and I decided to go to the Quartzsite Gem and
Mineral show before going onto Tucson on February 4th. I am truly amazed
at how large the Quartzsite, Arizona show has become. I was told there
population swells up to over a half million during the shows temporally
making it the third largest city in Arizona! This from a small town of only
1,800 permanent residents and two off-ramps. We found everything we needed
in Quartzsite so decided to cancel our Tucson plans and stick around. To do
this show right, you would need two weeks since it is so massive and fun.

Quartzsite:
http://www.quartzsitervshow.com/local-quartzsite-information/

All the big lapidary machine and supply companies had great displays with
excellent inventory including top-of-the-line Highland Park machines. I
talked to the Highland Park dealer and was surprised that they are still
making the enormous 24" saws and why he hadn't moved onto to the Tucson
show. He said most vendors have given up on the Tucson show and stick
around for a month longer in Quartzsite even though the show is supposed to
be over. The representative was very helpful and gave me tips on recycling
vast amounts of mineral oil used in cutting and how to maintain my 24"
Highland Park. I discussed problems with gripping end-cuts in saw vices.
He then brought out a custom made jig which solved the problem once and for
all. I have been making my own temporary jigs out of wood for years trying
to solve the problem of gripping an end-cut and have it hold up under the
enormous pressure a 24" saw can bring to bear. It is made of metal, is
universally adjustable and cost me less than $100.00. It will work on most
saws with a 2" or larger vice.

Here are some images of the end-cut jig which works perfectly:

http://themeteoritesite.com/adam/SawJig-a.jpg

http://themeteoritesite.com/adam/SawJig-b.jpg

http://themeteoritesite.com/adam/SawJig-c.jpg

The Highland Park representative's name is John Scofield at (951)315 8486 in
Riverside, California if you are in need of one. I am only making a
recommendation since it solved a major headache for me.

Happy Cutting,

Adam