[meteorite-list] NASA's Stardust Sample Return was 10 Years Ago Today

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 15:54:43 -0800 (PST)

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4821

NASA's Stardust Sample Return was 10 Years Ago Today
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
January 15, 2016

It was less than an hour into the new day of January 15, 2006 (EST), when
tens of thousands of miles above our planet, two cable cutters and two
retention bolts fired, releasing a spring which pushed a 101-pound (46-kilogram)
sample return capsule away from its mother ship. Later, during its final
plunge Earthward, the capsule would become the fastest human-made object
to enter our atmosphere, achieving a velocity of about 28,600 mph (12.8
kilometers per second).

Then, at 5:10 a.m. EST (3:10 a.m. MST), for the first time in seven years,
the sample return capsule finally stopped moving. By the time it landed,
under parachute in the desert salt flats of the U.S. Air Force's Utah
Test and Training Range in Dugway, the capsule had travelled 2.88 billion
miles (4.5 billion kilometers) -- a journey that carried it around the
sun three times and as far out as halfway to Jupiter. Inside the Stardust
mission's graphite-epoxy covered capsule was the objective of its prime
mission -- humanity's first samples collected from a celestial body in
deep space (beyond the Earth-moon system).

"The Stardust sample return capsule carried inside cometary material it
gathered from comet Wild-2 during a flyby in January of 2004," said Don
Brownlee, Stardust principal investigator from the University of Washington,
Seattle. "The spacecraft deployed a tennis racket-like, aerogel-lined
collector, and we flew the spacecraft within 150 miles (241 kilometers),
capturing particles from the coma as we went."

Two days after the return, the sample return capsule's science canister
and its cargo of comet and interstellar dust particles was stowed inside
a special aluminum carrying case and transported to a curatorial facility
at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston. Eileen Stansbery -- now Chief
Scientist at Johnson -- worked on Stardust as the deputy director of Astromaterials
Research and Exploration Science at the time. "We were investigating big
questions with the smallest samples -- how did our solar system form?
What are we made of? This comet is representative of one of the most primitive
bodies in the solar system, preserving the earliest record of material
from the nebula during the 'planetesimal' forming stage in its evolution."

Brownlee notes, "The science team couldn't wait to get their hands on
the samples. It had been 10 years of planning and then seven more years
for the actual mission, so everyone was raring to go."

The Stardust mission's international team of scientists -- 200 strong
-- helped re-write the book on comets and the evolution of the solar system.
The Stardust mission samples indicated that some comets may have included
materials ejected from the early sun and may have formed very differently
than scientists had theorized.

"What we found was remarkable," said Brownlee. "Instead of rocky materials
that formed around previous generations of stars, we found that most of
the comet's rocky matter formed inside our solar system at extremely high
temperature. In great contrast to its ice, our comet's rocky material
had formed under white-hot conditions."

Comet ice formed in cold regions beyond the planet Neptune, but the rocks,
probably the bulk of any comet's mass, formed much closer to the sun in
regions hot enough to evaporate bricks. The materials that Stardust collected
from comet Wild-2 contain pre-solar "stardust" grains, identified on the
basis of their unusual isotopic composition, but these grains are very
rare.

"Even though we confirmed comets are ancient bodies with an abundance
of ice -- some which formed a few tens of degrees above absolute zero
at the edge of the solar system -- we now know that comets are really
a mix of materials made by conditions of both 'fire and ice,'" said Brownlee.

While Stardust was the first deep-space sample-return mission, it was
by no means the last. The Japanese Space Agency (JAXA's) Hayabusa mission
collected samples from an asteroid and returned them to Earth in 2010,
and the Hayabusa 2 mission to return material from asteroid Ryugu is currently
underway. Still to come is NASA's OSIRIS-Rex mission. Scheduled to launch
in September of this year, OSIRIS-REx will travel to the near-Earth asteroid
Bennu and retrieve at least 2.1 ounces (60 grams) of surface material
and return it to Earth for study.

"The ways to explore space are probably as big as space itself," said
Brownlee. "But for my money, you can't beat sample return. Having samples
there in front of you, available for laboratory analysis when you want
-- that's tough to beat."

Another thing about Stardust that was tough to beat was the spacecraft
itself. Launched on Feb. 7, 1999, Stardust flew past an asteroid known
as Annefrank, flew past and collected particle samples from comet Wild-2,
and returned those particles to Earth in a sample return capsule in January
2006. As planned, the Stardust spacecraft did not re-enter Earth's atmosphere
along with its sample return capsule. Instead, it went into a solar orbit.
NASA then re-tasked the still-healthy spacecraft to perform a flyby of
comet Tempel 1 on Feb. 14, 2011.

For more information on the prime mission of the Stardust spacecraft,
please visit:

http://stardust.jpl.nasa.gov

For more information on the Stardust-NExT mission, please visit:

http://stardustnext.jpl.nasa.gov

For more information on the OSIRIS-REx mission, visit:

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/osiris-rex/index.html

Media Contact

DC Agle
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, California
818-393-9011
agle at jpl.nasa.gov

2016-012