[meteorite-list] Cutting An Iron

From: almitt2 at localnet.com <almitt2_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2016 14:10:06 -0400

  Hi John,

  Using a CBN Blade sold by the company you referred to is a bad idea
in my experience. In the past I used their blades and they were great
early on. Don't know what happened but the quality of the blades went
down and I coudn't even cut a half inch before the material on the
blade wore off. I could feel on the blade where it was smooth and other
areas maybe still a little cutting material left.

  I commented to the company owners before they sold the business and
they were concerned as I showed them the blades and mentioned how long
the blades lasted. However the problem was never solved and I stopped
wasting my $$ on the blades.

  I don't recommend that someone who hasn't cut meteorites before cut
off a sample. Picking the right spot so as not to detract from the mass
is important. No doubt you will get a lot of people offering to cut for
you, some good some not so good. Why not take it to the meteorite lab
in Portland to have a sample cut. I would bet they would allow you to
be there during the cutting.

  I'd make sure they know what they are doing as I have seen cutting
jobs messed up by some of the best known institutions. One place lost
over a kilo of material from their lack of knowledge of the material.

  Good luck!

  --AL Mitterling
Mitterling Meteorites