[meteorite-list] age of meteorites

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 19:03:03 -0400

Rob and all,

>For instance, even at solar system escape velocity
>at earth's distance from the sun (42 km/sec)

What is...The ultimate question of life and the answer to everything?

>Extra-credit question for the mathematically
>inclined: at what velocity relative to the earth
>would a meteoroid have to travel to have its
>clock stay in sync with a clock at the earth's
>surface? :-)

Given the figure you mention of 0.6 ppb (52 microseconds per day faster) this question asks be nullified, maybe 10 km/s velocity relative to earth?

A good relative velocity to hunt a flock of wild space geese coming to roost on Earth, wearing accurate Rolexes ... But should the meteoroid transition to our gravity, the on-board Rolex might abandon its precision for a few spectacular minutes, and have an "error" of a couple of nanoseconds ;-)

Kindest wishes
Doug